Tracker Reports indicate Morning Star has arrived in the San Francisco Bay and Dolfin has arrived at Two Harbors, Catalina Island. Owl remains at sea with compromised steering, and Iris is at sea with compromised standing rigging. Updates will be posted as received.
Aug 13 Return Reports
Aug 12 return reports
Aug 10 and 11 e-mails from IRIS
Wind increased as darkness approached last night and roller furler did not work so we dropped jib and hoisted baby storm staysail for the night. Today figured out that furler was jamming on spare halyard at top which had been set forward as back up forestay. So we’re flying 100% jib again with full main set. Also adjusted fore / aft setting of mast by releasing all backstays, preventer on main and vang then pulling in jury rigged amsteel at primary. Seems good now.
Have been under power for 3 hours and will shut down momentarily. Made 113 miles past 24. Can now do better once we start to turn right and if grib predictions are accurate that will be tomorrow.
35 01 N
164 16 W
steering 12 T (looks like helmsman has already turned east) at 6.9 knots under economy power of 1900 rpms
wind ENE at 8.
Cheers to Owl for sorting steering issues.
at 1440 we are
37 08 N
163 44 W trying to steer 34 mag at 5 knots or less.
Caught another Mahi Mahi this morning but hung up hook again as we have more than enough fish for time being.
8/11 return email reports
8/10 reports return group
1929 hours Hawaii (utc – 10)
37°00′ N/145°18′ W
SOG 5.2 KT @42° M (MOTORING)
WIND 6 KT @032° M
SEAS CALM WITH 2-3 FT SWELL
BP 1019.3 MB
The breeze fell off early this morning so we have been motoring since shortly before 5am.
We have been using the hydraulic ram on the funky rudder and it is working fine despite minor creaks and groans.
We are heading NE to catch a predicted northish wind which will allow us to sail towards the coast. It looks like we are still about 10 days out. Seems like it’s been 10 days for several days now. We have about 1000 nm remaining to the GGB.
All well aboard.
It wasn’t until late afternoon today when we got the nerve to lift the 100% jib on the roller furling held by amsteel on an untested pin that just happened to be there. We’re keeping our fingers crossed as we picked up nearly 2 knots.
If the grib files prediction hold true we should hang a right on Saturday and have the wind on our quarter but will have light wind Friday–tomorrow.
Stay tuned. And thanks for being tuned and passing this info on.
1800 Thurs local time
33 26 N
163 40 W
333 T @ 6.4 knots
Wind E @ 13
Congratulations to those who have arrived home. Our homecoming will be somewhat delayed.
I should add that this afternoon Mike and I secured the roller furling and stay by taking some old amsteel line and with four to one purchase lead it back to a primary and tightened. We have hope to use it off the wind.
31 46 N
163 02 W presently steering 4 at 4.6 knots.
8/8 Evening Report
8/8 email amalgamation
1513 hours Hawaii Time (UTC – 10)
35°09′ N/149°45: W
SOG 6.8 KT @ 55° M
WIND 21 KT @322° M
SEAS 10+ SWELLS WITH 3-4 FT CHOP
BP 1012.9 mb
First, it appears that some of my reports have not been transmitted due to a fumble on my part. Sorry about that. I am working on the problem. If you don’t get this please be sure to let me know.
We have had a pretty wild ride the last two nights with large swells and wind in the mid twenties. Fortunately, the wind is on the port beam so we are generally making good time. The wind is highly variable…10 to 25 knots within an hour…so it has been trial and error to find a sail plan and trim that doesn’t have us reefing every half hour but still keeps us moving during the low spots.
Today we had enough sun that both battery banks are topped up.
We are now side-by-side with s/v Wavelength, a 49 ft Beneteau being deliverd back to LA from the PacCup. They are having battery problems and are trying to parse their fuel between charging and motoring through the low winds ahead.
Hope all is well.
Best, John, the Whoo in Owl
1715 local time we are 27 49 N 160 47 W, 324 T @ 6.9 knots. Wind is bending around to NE, presently 13 knots A. We are headed NW as we have to and a high will develop in our path if we continued north. Our plan is to skirt the high to the west. Any thoughts?
All is well. It has been one of the most beautiful days on the ocean this past summer.