|Link to race tracker||Link to return tracker|
8/11 return email reports
8/10 reports return group
1929 hours Hawaii (utc – 10)
37°00′ N/145°18′ W
SOG 5.2 KT @42° M (MOTORING)
WIND 6 KT @032° M
SEAS CALM WITH 2-3 FT SWELL
BP 1019.3 MB
The breeze fell off early this morning so we have been motoring since shortly before 5am.
We have been using the hydraulic ram on the funky rudder and it is working fine despite minor creaks and groans.
We are heading NE to catch a predicted northish wind which will allow us to sail towards the coast. It looks like we are still about 10 days out. Seems like it’s been 10 days for several days now. We have about 1000 nm remaining to the GGB.
All well aboard.
It wasn’t until late afternoon today when we got the nerve to lift the 100% jib on the roller furling held by amsteel on an untested pin that just happened to be there. We’re keeping our fingers crossed as we picked up nearly 2 knots.
If the grib files prediction hold true we should hang a right on Saturday and have the wind on our quarter but will have light wind Friday–tomorrow.
Stay tuned. And thanks for being tuned and passing this info on.
1800 Thurs local time
33 26 N
163 40 W
333 T @ 6.4 knots
Wind E @ 13
Congratulations to those who have arrived home. Our homecoming will be somewhat delayed.
I should add that this afternoon Mike and I secured the roller furling and stay by taking some old amsteel line and with four to one purchase lead it back to a primary and tightened. We have hope to use it off the wind.
31 46 N
163 02 W presently steering 4 at 4.6 knots.
8/8 Evening Report
8/8 email amalgamation
1513 hours Hawaii Time (UTC – 10)
35°09′ N/149°45: W
SOG 6.8 KT @ 55° M
WIND 21 KT @322° M
SEAS 10+ SWELLS WITH 3-4 FT CHOP
BP 1012.9 mb
First, it appears that some of my reports have not been transmitted due to a fumble on my part. Sorry about that. I am working on the problem. If you don’t get this please be sure to let me know.
We have had a pretty wild ride the last two nights with large swells and wind in the mid twenties. Fortunately, the wind is on the port beam so we are generally making good time. The wind is highly variable…10 to 25 knots within an hour…so it has been trial and error to find a sail plan and trim that doesn’t have us reefing every half hour but still keeps us moving during the low spots.
Today we had enough sun that both battery banks are topped up.
We are now side-by-side with s/v Wavelength, a 49 ft Beneteau being deliverd back to LA from the PacCup. They are having battery problems and are trying to parse their fuel between charging and motoring through the low winds ahead.
Hope all is well.
Best, John, the Whoo in Owl
1715 local time we are 27 49 N 160 47 W, 324 T @ 6.9 knots. Wind is bending around to NE, presently 13 knots A. We are headed NW as we have to and a high will develop in our path if we continued north. Our plan is to skirt the high to the west. Any thoughts?
All is well. It has been one of the most beautiful days on the ocean this past summer.
Evening Report from Dolfin
SHTP return fleet 1700 UTC Aug 6 radio net recap
Presently at 1725 local 335 UTC, we’re steering 352 T at 7 knots.
All is well.
SHTP return fleet 0200 UTC Aug 6 radio net recap
1524 hours Hawaii
33° 55 N/154°49′ W
SOG 5 KNOTS @69° M
WIND 10 TO 20 KNOTS @0° TO 320° M
BP 1019.4 mb
Very squally through the night and into the day. We have been finding the optimal way to handle such large changes in velocity and driection which cycle every hour or so.
SHTP return fleet 1700 UTC Aug 5 radio net recap
1513 HOURS HAWAII
33°24′ N/156°46′ W
SOG 5.1 KNOTS @50° M
WIND 11 KNOTS @355° M
BP 1023.2 mb
Motored through the night for total of 10 hours. Now sailing in relatively benign seas. Had large rain squall around 10am.
Hope all is well.
John, the Whoo in Owl
SHTP return fleet 0200 UTC Aug 5 radio net recap