Thread: Modest Suggestion for Three ridge Fiasco Race

Default Modest Suggestion for Three ridge Fiasco Race

The SSS has been willing to try new ideas since before the first Three Bridge Fiasco Race in 1984, a mere 40 years ago.

The Race to Alaska (R2AK) has been an inventive race by the NWMC with the option to use human propulsion - row, pedal drive, and even crew members with flippers dangling over the transom of the boat.

My modest suggestion is to add a R2AK class to the existing race. There are no ratings or handicaps for R2AK entries. I suggest the same for an R2AK class. There would be no comparison of the R2AK class with other wntries since there is no logical way to adjust for the benefit of human propulsion. The class entries would try for glory??? Or maybe use this as a trial for a real R2AK entry.

It seems the R2AK class would be limited to boats with a PHRF rating, and crew size would be single- or double-handed. This would keep the kayaks and racing shells off the race course.

As to where to put the R2AK class in the starting sequence, I would suggest somewhere newr the middle of the start sequence, while carefully avoiding large class starts such as the Moore 24 or other large classes.

I have no doubt the forums participants or SSS leadership may praise or dismiss this suggestion. Let’s keep making the SSS a fun group.

Ants Uiga
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 08-08-2024 at 02:59 PM.

Interesting idea Ants.
    How about allowing paddling/ sculling for all boats but no major installations like pedal drives etc.
    Make things equal opportunity and maybe help break up the wind hole traffic jams.