Page 635 of 635 FirstFirst ... 135535585625631632633634635
Results 6,341 to 6,347 of 6347

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I have definitely been watching that, and waiting to see who gets out to the better breeze first. It's been pretty dreary for them since Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Has anyone noticed the incredibly divergent courses of the Monday starters now that that contingent has breeze? BLOOM COUNTY, furthest north, was heading northwest, above the GC. And Jesberg on Cal 40 VIVA was steering almost due south.

My money is on Jesberg and the southern fleet. Meanwhile, the Wednesday starters are licking their chops.
    Yes, I was wondering about Bloom County as well, looks like everyone now headed south. Rum Tum Tugger headed back.. hope nothing serious.

From Greg Ashby on Morning Star: "We're moving now!"

Name:  P1012826.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  3.10 MB

with Skip

Name:  P1012831.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  3.28 MB
    Last edited by Philpott; Yesterday at 11:24 AM.

While paddlin' Madelin home this morning I overtook a red, Davidson 44 being towed into Santa Cruz Harbor, obviously a refugee from the Pac Cup. "Problem?" I inquired. "Lost steering," was the reply. "Rudder gone?" I asked? "Nope, auto-pilot steers fine, but we can't disengage to manually steer."

Unclear on the concept I paddled on..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0J...b_channel=Isto

Sled, you may remember that the inability to pull the pin on Surprise!'s autopilot drive led to a large rudder bearing repair for her sellers.

And the last time I looked, the boat you're aboard just above was leading her division. Go, Lee and Greg!

We had the same problem on Another Girl, but I was eventually able to pull the pin on the Autopilot Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    We had the same problem on Another Girl, but I was eventually able to pull the pin on the Autopilot Drive.
    You would think that before crossing the ocean the steering would be gone over with a fine tooth comb. Maybe not. I remember turning the wheel to round a corner in my '66 VW bus. The wheel spun in my hands, and the bus went straight into the iceplant.

So Greg and Dan's 30 foot OUTSIDER has a significant advantage over other sprit boata in the Pac Cup. What is that?", you might ask. OUTSIDER's sprit articulates 30 degrees either side. allowing them to get more downwind than a non-articulating boat.

In a non-articulating sprit boat, when running hard, 95% of the sail area is on the leeward side, elevating chances for a round-up. I learned this one dark night with BobJ as we ran RAGTIME across Monterey Bay, touching 18 knots at times. It was all we could do from tipping over, a very narrow band to steer in.