Page 634 of 634 FirstFirst ... 134534584624630631632633634
Results 6,331 to 6,339 of 6339

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Good to see you posting Sled.
    Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks for the link. Sally has a pleasant way of seeing the world and putting it to words.

With the start of the 2024 Pac Cup fast approaching, and intense competition ahead for the Doublehanders, it's fun to remember back to some psychological warfare that generated pre-race concern, if not outright incredulity. Here's a couple.

Ron, wild-eyed skipper of the Olson 30 STILL CRAZY in the 1990 SHTP, caused much concern shortly after the start when a second crew member appeared on the weather rail..Many believed it was true..until Ron arrived at Hanalei with a well patched, but still inflated blow-up doll for interested parties to inspect. Ron also carried an honest-to-god saddle and spurs, claiming he would be riding broncs in Kauai rodeos.

On day 4 of the 2002 PacCup, when the whole fleet was listening just before 0900 roll call, Birdman on PUNK DOLPHIN radioed WILDFLOWER in an unrehearsed conversation :

"Skip, we have your stern extension Tom Wylie just finished. Should be overhauling you today about noon, over."

I replied, "Roger, Birdman, we will be standing by to receive stern extension on our port side. Hope Tom remembered the transom bolts."

"Roger transom bolts. Birdman out."

"WILDFLOWER clear with PUNKY."

In the 1967 Transpac there were 14 Cal-40's and Ted Turner on his custom VAMOOSE entered. We knew all eyes were on Class C favorite, our family's Cal-40 HOLIDAY TOO, especially Turner's (who had Tom Wylie in his crew)

My father had a clever and mischievious idea to get the competition's goat: the afternoon before the start we stepped a 30' Star mast at the aft end of the cockpit, turning HOLIDAY TOO into a mean looking ketch capable of flying a giant mizzen spinnaker. (Mizzens went unmeasured in those days.)

Word quickly spread to the nearby yacht club bar, and spectators began to gather as our crew huddled in semi-serious conversation in the cockpit. Sure enough, long time rival Turner soon appeared and said in his vociferous Southern drawl to no-one in particular, "they can't do that!" Followed by "Can they?"

We just grinned and kept mum, knowing we had Turner's goat before we even started.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-10-2024 at 03:34 PM.

I see that mischief runs in your family, dear Sled

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    I see that mischief runs in your family, dear Sled
    First time I encountered serious mischief was on the start line of a West Coast Star Class Championship in 1959 (age 14.) We had a perfectly timed start at the weather end when 1958 Star Class World's Champ and future America's Cup winning skipper Bill Ficker came barging in with his #3850 NHYCUSA.

I let "Ficker is Quicker" know I wasn't going to let him in when he replied in his soft, authoritative voice, "We have an 'Absolute' Skip, and we'll need room, thank you."

I was momentarily confused, never having heard the Rules term "Absolute." In addition, Ficker was my boss for a summer job at his architect's firm. My bear away allowed NHYCUSA to slide in sweetly at the choice end and sail away to windward while we floundered in his dirty air.

Later, after hauling our Stars onto their trailers, I asked Bill Ficker the definition of an "Absolute." Said Bill with a smile, "Oh," an "Absolute" means we have absolutely no rights."

Oh. Name:  bill ficker 001.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  713.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-11-2024 at 09:08 AM.

Love that story.

Will be fun to follow the Paccup with lots of past and present SSS sailors in the fleet

First to start Monday morning at 10:20 is DH1.

Lee Johnson and Greg Ashby, each raced SHTP 2018, are on the Valiant 32 Morning Star.

Bill Stange and Darlene Woo are on the Westsail 32 Hula. Bill raced SHTP in 1988, 2021 and 2023.
    Bill set the course record in 88 on the Olson 30 Intense and is still in the top 5 fastest boats.
    2023 SHTP saw an epic battle between 3 Westsails.

DH2 starts next with Greg Nelson on Outsider. Greg won overall in 2000 aboard the BlackSoo, Starbuck.

Green Buffalo will be starting PHRF1 at 10:40. Jim Quanci raced in 2012,2021 and 2023, winning overall and in 12 and 23.
    On his crew Jim has John Wilkerson, SHTP veteran of 21 and 23.

If I’ve missed anyone I apologize.
    Let us know!

See you in Kaneohe, Aloha!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 07-13-2024 at 10:06 PM.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

I’ll be aboard Velvet Hammer, see u there.
    C Jordan (The Pork Chop Express, SHT 2023)

Looks like a challenging start for today’s classes. Glad I’m not racing as Wednesday starters will almost definitely have a huge weather advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    If I’ve missed anyone I apologize.
    Let us know!
    Kyle Vanderspek won 2021 SHTP Overall with ALOHA. He's on BLOOM COUNTY. DOMINO won 2016 SHTP overall with Hedgehog. Brendan Huffman is on CITY LIGHTS. There's more...The winner of the inaugural SHTP in 1978, Norton Smith, is currently at sea, headed for Oahu from Pago Pago.
    Last edited by sleddog; Today at 06:47 PM.