PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going? Getting Ready

Daydreamer
04-07-2024, 01:32 PM
I signed up for LongPac.

Still need a qualifier with Akumu.
I've been around the Farallones a few times, just not with this boat.
Might get out there before the SHF race, otherwise that will do.

Most of the boxes for SERs are checked.
Added AIS already.
Need a storm jib and maybe a third reef in the main.

Lacking SOLAS handheld flares. Who carries these lately?

Still have my InReach for satellite comms.

Philpott
04-07-2024, 08:03 PM
Nathalie gave me her storm jib. Said I needed one but I really don't. I'll bring it to the club, you can see if you like it.

vanilladuck
04-10-2024, 10:04 AM
I'd love to do the LongPac, in prep for SHTP next year. My boat has the mast down currently and is receiving a lot of repairs, so I'm not sure I will make it to the Farallon's Race. And that's a qualifier for LongPac, right?

I'm also searching for storm sails. Having a third reef put in my mainsail and thinking about a "Gale Sail" style storm jib to slide up over the furled head sail. Anyone have any experience with those? North Sails won't even produce a gale sail because they said "they don't work well". I'm not sure if that's "they don't work well in racing conditions" OR "they don't work well to even stabilize the boat in emergency storm conditions" //sigh//

AZ Sailor
04-11-2024, 09:09 AM
. . thinking about a "Gale Sail" style storm jib to slide up over the furled head sail. Anyone have any experience with those?

Yes, I have the 60 sq ft Gale Sail from ATN, and am very happy with it. Works as advertised, love having it along as an option. Have flown it several times out on ocean passages and found it very effective in maintaining balance and control when conditions pipe up. Easy to rig and hoist, and even easier to strike and stow. Wouldn't go to sea without it.

vanilladuck
04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
That's great to hear. Thanks Lee!

BobJ
04-11-2024, 01:59 PM
I had an ATN Gale Sail for Ragtime! (J/92). We discussed trying to work around your main to set a trys'l. Similarly, I wouldn't want to turn a jib loose on the foredeck to hoist a storm jib. The sleeve on the Gale Sail mostly solves that problem, assuming you can get it hoisted before the furled headsail starts to unroll. It will unroll at the top first and I'm not sure the typical Gale Sail is high enough on the headstay to prevent it.

On Ragtime! I also had a removable inner stay to which I could hank on a small jib. It worked pretty well but it was quite a project to design and install it.

When I got the bigger boat I traded the Gale Sail for this one, which has a zipper. It's not as robust and I'm not as confident in it.

vanilladuck
04-13-2024, 08:44 PM
Gale Sail ordered! :) Thanks for the info and advice

Now I'm moving on to trysail... I might go start another thread about that

PSutchek
04-29-2024, 07:23 PM
just because im lazy...but also want to learn and know what others do... what single hander life raft do you all recommend ? thanks in advance

Critter
04-29-2024, 09:14 PM
Lacking SOLAS handheld flares. Who carries these lately?

Landfall Navigation has a combo pack that meets the SER: 4 red handheld, 2 smokes. Last year the price was good, and the ones I got were pretty fresh.

vanilladuck
04-30-2024, 07:05 AM
I bought a Viking 4UKL (ISO 9650-1) with an E pack. BobJ gave me the advice: if you're in the SF Bay area, go to Sal's Inflatables in Alameda. He's really knowledgeable and will service your raft without you having to ship it. After all, they are heavy ;)

PSutchek
05-17-2024, 07:14 PM
are ther really long pac inspectors ? how do we get one ? who do we ask ?

I am currently shopping for Sat Phones
I am about to switch to lithium with solar...

????

vanilladuck
05-17-2024, 08:15 PM
/subscribe ;)

I'm also curious if I can't make the LongPac, what's the process for doing my own LongPac offshore, saving my track and how to get someone from the SSS to authenticate it

Critter
05-17-2024, 08:53 PM
Doing my qualifier for the '23 SHTP, I just kept a log, made sure I got more than 100 miles offshore, and then just sailed around until my odometer (or whatever it's called on a boat) read over 400. I was also recording a track, but I didn't realize that I had to reduce the frequency of sampling points. So my track was only about 50 miles long.

Dave provided a very simple log sheet where I just entered my major turning points, date, time and mileage, and that was acceptable. Better check with him whether it'll be the same in '25.

Max

vanilladuck
05-19-2024, 11:46 AM
Perfect, thanks for sharing your experience!

DaveH
05-21-2024, 06:20 AM
are ther really long pac inspectors ? how do we get one ? who do we ask ?

I am currently shopping for Sat Phones
I am about to switch to lithium with solar...

????

HI Paul - pm sent re the inspections, we’ll get you sorted shortly

DaveH
05-21-2024, 06:22 AM
Doing my qualifier for the '23 SHTP, I just kept a log, made sure I got more than 100 miles offshore, and then just sailed around until my odometer (or whatever it's called on a boat) read over 400. I was also recording a track, but I didn't realize that I had to reduce the frequency of sampling points. So my track was only about 50 miles long.

Dave provided a very simple log sheet where I just entered my major turning points, date, time and mileage, and that was acceptable. Better check with him whether it'll be the same in '25.

Max

It will be substantially the same (Bryan and I had this conversation on the dock recently as well)…. Said log sheet is available with the docs set on Jibeset,,,,

Duende
05-31-2024, 11:47 AM
HI Paul - pm sent re the inspections, we’ll get you sorted shortly

I am also wondering how we go about getting an inspector and who they are.

Daydreamer
06-24-2024, 08:53 AM
Productive work weekend.

Water on board.
Dry food on board.
Last of the flares updated.
E-tiller set up for cassette or main rudder with pins for tiller pilot.
Added wiring for main solar panel, 200w.
Fitted rack for solar panel. Couple adjustments and mounting brackets to make before mounting.
Secured all wiring.
Picked up storm jib and had a good talk with Falk / Shark on Bluegrass.
Made sure storm jib will work and attached sheets.

Sorry for the horrible photo!

Philpott
06-24-2024, 11:56 AM
hahaha
Yes, given that you are a fine photographer of other people's boats, that is a particularly fuzzy photo. Was it foggy at RYC? No, wait, it wasn't. I just remembered that the Long Pac is next weekend. Reminds me that the SSS has become a subterranean sailing club. Good luck with your Longpac, Greg! I remember asking you, almost a year ago, why you were going to do it when you could, instead, simply go out sailing in perfect conditions. You shrugged, said, "For fun."

BobJ
06-24-2024, 02:13 PM
Greg, that's a cute little storm jib. I'll bet it would fit on K1SMET.

It was great to chat with you and later, Chris yesterday.