PDA

View Full Version : Fiasco Finish Fun

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:13 PM
Fiasco was very tough on the race committee, for reasons I'll talk about later, but I wanted to share some finish photos.

If you've never been on race committee, one of the most important jobs is recording who finished when.

If you can identify the four boats approaching the finish and their finish order, you'll have a sense of what the finishes were like.

Here's the actual finish, two seconds later.

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Here's a boat finishing from the right that has dark sail numbers on a dark mainsail. Compare with #3113 Arcadia's numbers on the spinnaker.

Race Committee request: Please do not put black or blue sail numbers on a dark sail; they can be very hard to read, as in the boat above and the blue-hulled boat finishing behind #173 Water Wings below. I know one committee in SF Bay was threatening to protest one competitor in a race last year for RRS G1.2(a)(3). I'm sure that seemed absurd to the potentially-protested boat, but I have a lot of sympathy for that committee.

Here's two boats finishing, and two boats approaching the finish. How many can you identify?

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:20 PM
A good technique when boats are approaching overlapped is to wait a few seconds and try to identify the boats a little later.

Here's what "later" looked like for the two boats approaching the finish in the prior shot.

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:24 PM
Here #9 Errant Belle has just finished and let out spinnaker enough to see their sail number. The boat behind them is finishing and the two boats from the right are about to.

Dark red on black can also be tricky to read.

Can you identify the two boats coming in from the right?

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:27 PM
See the Wabbit?

Look at the white sail number for #38135 Shake & Bake: good size and good contrast makes a sail number MUCH easier to identify. Thank you, Shake & Bake.

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:29 PM
Etc.

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 02:42 PM
We had 76 boats finish in a 20 minute period, many overlaped as per above, so it was very difficult to look up or down the course to see who we'd missed without risking missing the people finishing right now.

I'd like to thank Carliane, Chris, Shawn and ESPECIALLY an innocent bystander on shore who felt so sorry for us that he started helping at ~4 PM and stayed with us until 11 PM trying to help us figure this out.

If you'd like to volunteer to help the race committee, we could use some help.

fauxboat
02-18-2024, 04:02 PM
See you at Richmond YC at 5 PM tonight for the in person Three Bridge Fiasco awards.

Thank you for racing with the SSS.

Richard
2024 SSS Race Chair