PDA

View Full Version : Comments on "No Trophy South Bay" Courses?

fauxboat
12-27-2023, 09:26 AM
Hello, all. Happy Holidays!

This year's "No Trophy" race is in the South Bay.

The course used in 2022 was a 9.7 NM, two-lap course starting and finishing at NAS1, with the laps taken around SC1, 34 and 36:

We could do that again, but it might be better to change things.
* I heard last year that SSS Racers prefer 18 NM courses.
* I've been told fewer marks with longer legs are preferred to more marks and longer legs.
* I suspect a starting line a bit further north would be attractive to people coming from Richmond.

Instead of emailing people privately I thought I'd post here and take some comments...

Again, happy holidays and thank you for racing with SSS!

Richard, SSS Race Co-Chair

fauxboat
12-27-2023, 09:48 AM
Here is an option that is 16.6 NM, starting and finishing at mark 33. That is closer to home for Richmond, Berkeley and Estuary boats, but farther for Sierra Point, Coyote Point and Sequoia boats. A short (0.5 NM) upwind leg to a buoy to be named, then a long starboard reach into the South Bay to the start of the San Bruno Shoal Channel, then a long port reach back to SC, followed by a run down toward the air station, what might or might not be a fetch to the unnamed buoy (depending on current), and then downwind to the finish.

It's only one fewer leg, but the long legs back and forth to the San Bruno channel might be fun. Looks like flood all the way there.