PDA

View Full Version : "Corinthians" ideas

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 09:42 PM
Hello, SSS Racers!

There is a possibility we could revamp the "Corinthians" race, with use of a RC boat. At minimum we'd have to get a mark set before the first prep signal, and picked up after the last boat finishes. But perhaps we could find a boat, or persuade a helpful YC, into sitting out there all day.

So that would let us try some new things. I'll post some ideas here, and will welcome counter-suggestions.

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Here is a course we could run if we had a RC boat, and volunteers, all day of of Angel Island. Call this "option A."

Racers would pick between two courses:

Clockwise:
* Start at Knox
* Little Harding
* Angel Island
* Treasure Island
* YRA-33
* Harding
* Finish at Knox

Counterclockwise:
* Start at Knox
* Harding
* YRA-33
* Treasure Island
* Angel Island
* Little Harding
* Finish at Knox

Courses are 16 NM.

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Here's a different course we could run if we had a RC boat off Angel Island all day. Call this "Option B."

Racers pick between two courses, clockwise or counterclockwise, and make TWO LAPS around Angel and Alcatraz.

* Start at knox
* Little Harding
* Angel
* Alcatraz
* Harding
* Little Harding
* Angel
* Alcatraz
* Harding
* Finish at Knox

Or the other direction.

16 NM.

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 10:05 PM
If we had a RC boat and a mark we could set off of elephant rock, perhaps we could use that and elephant rock as a starting line. Consider this option "C".

This is as counterclockwise-only course.

* Start at Elephant Rock
* Hank eason buoy
* YRA-33
* YRA-28 (or YRA-29)
* Finish at Elephant Rock

16.5 NM

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 10:11 PM
In the spring I heard people wanted 18-20 NM courses. So here's a version that lets people see the south bay. Call this "Option D".

Counterclockwise-only.

* Start at Elephant Rock
* Blackaller
* Blossom
* YRA-SC1
* YRA-NAS1
* YRA-33
* Angel
* Finish at Elephant Rock

19.5 NM

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 10:27 PM
Or, for less current at the start, suppose a RC boat could spend the day in Richardson Bay. Call this Option "F".

Two courses, chosen after a common two legs.

* Start at YRA-N
* Hank Easom
* Alcaraz

THEN EITHER

Clockwise:
* Treasure Island
* YRA-33
* YRA-NAS2
* YRA-SC1
* Blossom
* Alcatraz
* Hank Easom
* Finish at N

OR

Counterclockwise:
* Blossom
* YRA-SC1
* YRA-NAS2
* YRA-33
* Trasure Island
* Alcatraz
* Hank Easom
* Finish at N

18 NM.

fauxboat
10-09-2023, 10:35 PM
If there's no committee boat, we ca try someting different at GGYC. Call this option "G".

* Start at GGYC
* Blackaller

THEN EITHER

Clockwise:
* YRA-24
* Treasure Island
* YRA-33
* YRA-NAS1
* YRA-SC1
* Blossom
* Blackaller
* Finish at GGYC

OR

Counterclockwise:
* Blosom
* YRA-SC1
* YRA-NAS1
* YRA-33
* Treasure Island
* YRA-24
* Blackaller
* Finish at GGYC

20 NM.

PSutchek
10-13-2023, 08:39 PM
whats wrong with the regular course ? why do you insist on changing everything ?

Tchoupitoulas
10-14-2023, 08:52 PM
I think it's because we no longer have access to the CYC race deck.

fauxboat
10-16-2023, 10:07 PM
PSutchek: The narrow answer is that I was specifically asked to plan for the possibility of having a RC boat, and I'm generally trying to make races more safe, fair and fun. The broader discussion might be best for over a beverage late on December 10th.

Tchoupitoulas: Yes, I think that is exactly what is driving this. The "Corinthian" race is still a bit unsettled, in my mind, as we work out what it should be if isn't going to be held at Corinthian.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair

BobJ
10-17-2023, 02:13 AM
As we discussed on the boat, the Corinthian Race has a good course. Max designed it to give skippers a tactical choice about which way to go around Angel Island. Same with Alcatraz on the leg from Harding to Blossom. If the plan is for the SSS to have an RC boat, just move the start/finish out by Pt. Knox.

I'm a bit suspicious about attempts to make the races more "safe, fair and fun." Years of experience went into choosing the courses we have. Skippers keep coming back because of the courses. Until you've sailed them you don't realize how good they are.

solosailor
10-20-2023, 08:52 AM
I'm for still trying to get things back on track with the Corinthian YC..... our host for the Corinthian race and the SHTP for a long, long time. If we can't use their race deck then a course as close to the original as possible would be my vote.

todd22123
11-30-2023, 03:22 PM
Is there a Race Calendar for 2024?
Thank you