PDA

View Full Version : Singlehanded "Anything Goes" North Bay Sailing Instructions Posted

fauxboat
04-17-2023, 09:18 PM
Hello, SSS Racers!

Sailing instructions for the Singlehanded "Anything Goes" North Bay race are now available on jibeset.

A few things are worth noting as you READ THE SAILING INSTRUCTIONS:

1) We have just one radio channel this time.
2) Because we have one radio channel, we'll need everyone to check in five minutes before we begin the first (radio-only) starting sequence.
3) I'm deferring class assignments until Thursday night so that I can better handle registrations between now and the deadline.
4) I've included a chartlet, since this is a welcoming, fun race.
5) The course avoids the Sisters and the Point Pinole Light marker since both are near some shallows that might be unsuitable for new singlehanded racers.
6) I've picked some less-commonly-used buoys to get a length close to 19 NM, since some people care about that.
7) I've arranged for the course to end at the Richmond Race Deck (basically RYC harbor) so you can easily come to Richmond YC after the race to socialize with your fellow SSS racers and talk about where you went after the race.
8) There's some "social" material after the SIs proper.

Thank you for racing with the SSS!

Richard, 2023 Race Co-Chair

Jonathan Gutoff
04-19-2023, 09:39 AM
The marks SPCL-E and SPCL-5 cross the San Pablo Channel which is a restricted area.8325

Philpott
04-20-2023, 11:29 AM
Confused by the sailing instructions? Well, this is your chance to really get into the arcane rules of racing according to the several different legends represented in the instructions: YRA, Light list #, your chart, my chart (e.g. PSB# 2) and (my favorite) just plain English.

The Singlehanded Sailing Society has most usually referred sailors to marks with names. Singlehanders are busy trimming sails and trying not to fall off our boats. We also have no crew to read aloud to us ("Not that island! The other island!") For instance, Red Rock, Harding Rock, Alcatraz. Blossom Rock. With these race instructions we have the opportunity to learn about the Coast Guard Light List, Volume 6. Is it full of esoteria? Yes, yes it is. And once you buy into it, you go down the Rabbit Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Philpott/Desktop/Sailing/Safety%20Issues/LightList%20V6.pdf

Find here the four pages of the only part of the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays that you need care about on Saturday.

And remember, your chart plotter has several different settings for the coordinates. Make sure yours is synced to the same as are posted here. [Hint: The Light list locations are synced to Degrees and Minutes. You didn't know that your chart plotter had different settings? Well, lucky you to have read the SSS Forum today. Better now than offshore. Don't ask how someone would know that].

Better still, instead of all this bother, just stay behind Dura Mater. WAY behind Dura Mater. Stay back until you finish to starboard of "Killer Green" aka RCH-7. If you come into the RYC clubhouse anyone will be able to tell you how it got its name.

BobJ
04-20-2023, 01:33 PM
Better still, instead of all this bother, just stay behind Dura Mater. WAY behind Dura Mater. Stay back until you finish to starboard of "Killer Green" aka RCH-7.

Is this a test to see if we're paying attention?

Philpott
04-20-2023, 01:45 PM
Is this a test to see if we're paying attention?

To the SSS? Yeah, maybe.

BobJ
04-20-2023, 02:53 PM
I loaded Surprise! with gear yesterday because I'm going croozing for Butter & Eggs this weekend. Sorry to miss "Anything Goes."

These are neither butter nor eggs:

fauxboat
04-20-2023, 05:22 PM
The marks SPCL-E and SPCL-5 cross the San Pablo Channel which is a restricted area.8325

To elaborate on last night's answer at the competitor's meeting where I'd said that SPCL-E and SPCL-5 were not restricted areas:

They are. And they're not.

In general, I'm a big fan of quoting rule numbers and showing my work so someone can tell me I've messed this up and point to my error. So, here's my reasoning.

The area in question is covered by 33 CFR 165.1181, which you can look up at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/165.1181 . Or if you prefer the official GPO PDF version, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2003-title33-vol2/pdf/CFR-2003-title33-vol2-sec165-1181.pdf The Cornell one is easier on the eyes.

Both copies list eight (8) "regulated naviation areas" in part c.ii, some of which have multiple separate polygons. For San Pablo Bay, the two areas to look at are c.ii.3 and c.ii.4:

(3) San Pablo Strait Channel RNA. The following is a regulated navigation area - The waters bounded by a line connecting the following coordinates, beginning at:

37°56′06″ N, 122°26′49″ W; thence to 37°57′26″ N, 122°27′21″ W; thence to 38°00′48″ N, 122°24′45″ W; thence to 38°01′54″ N, 122°22′24″ W; thence to 38°01′44″ N, 122°22′18″ W; thence to 37°57′37″ N, 122°26′23″ W; thence to 37°56′06″ N, 122°26′34″ W; thence returning to the point of beginning.

And

(4) Pinole Shoal Channel RNA. The following is a regulated navigation area - The waters bounded by a line connecting the following coordinates, beginning at:

38°01′54″ N, 122°22′25″ W; thence to 38°03′13″ N, 122°19′50″ W; thence to 38°03′23″ N, 122°18′31″ W; thence to 38°03′13″ N, 122°18′29″ W; thence to 38°03′05″ N, 122°19′28″ W; thence to 38°01′44″ N, 122°22′18″ W; thence returning to the point of beginning.

If you are the kind of person who does better with a chartlet than a list of coordinates, and are willing to spend the time to map them, you'll have a picture like this, with the San Pablo Straight Channel in gold and the Pinole Shoal channel in gray. (Note I did not bother converting the points from NAD83 to WGS84, which is probably why they don't line up perfectly with the light list buoy locations.)

So yes, it is one of the "regulated naviation areas" in the Bay.

However, what matters is not just the area that is regulated, but what the regulations forbid.

For example, the Pinole Shoal Channel (in gray) has this in section (e).2, which is why the course does NOT go around SPCL 7 & 8.

(2) Pinole Shoal Channel RNA: (i) A vessel less than 1600 gross tons or a tug with a tow of less than 1600 gross tons is not permitted within this RNA.

(ii) A power-driven vessel of 1600 or more gross tons or a tug with a tow of 1600 or more gross tons shall not enter Pinole Shoal Channel RNA when another power-driven vessel of 1600 or more gross tons or tug with a tow of 1600 or more gross tons is navigating therein if such entry would result in meeting, crossing, or overtaking the other vessel, when either vessel is:

(A) Carrying certain dangerous cargoes (as denoted in § 160.203 of this subchapter);

(B) Carrying bulk petroleum products; or

(C) A tank vessel in ballast.

(iii) Vessels permitted to use this channel shall proceed at a reasonable speed so as not to endanger other vessels or interfere with any work which may become necessary in maintaining, surveying, or buoying the channel, and they shall not anchor in the channel except in case of a deviation authorized under paragraph (b) of this section.

(iv) This paragraph shall not be construed as prohibiting any necessary use of the channel by any public vessels while engaged in official duties, or in emergencies by pilot boats.

But there's no mention of the San Pablo Straight channel in the regulations after defining it.

Which means the only rules we need to look at are section (d), General Regulations:

(d) General regulations.

(1) A power-driven vessel of 1600 or more gross tons, or a tug with a tow of 1600 or more gross tons, navigating within the RNAs defined in paragraph (c) of this section, shall not exceed a speed of 15 knots through the water.

(2) A power-driven vessel of 1600 or more gross tons, or a tug with a tow of 1600 or more gross tons, navigating within the RNAs defined in paragraph (c) of this section, shall have its engine(s) ready for immediate maneuver and shall operate its engine(s) in a control mode and on fuel that will allow for an immediate response to any engine order, ahead or astern, including stopping its engine(s) for an extended period of time.

(3) The master, pilot or person directing the movement of a vessel within the RNAs defined in paragraph (c) of this regulation shall comply with Rule 9 of the Inland Navigation Rules (INRs) (33 CFR subchapter E) in conjunction with the provisions of the associated INRs.

So, unless you are the master of a power-driven vessel of 1600 or more gross tons, or a tug with a tow... this is not really a restricted area.

I hope that helps!

As always, if you think I've got this wrong, say so.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair

fauxboat
04-20-2023, 05:29 PM
Confused by the sailing instructions? Well, this is your chance to really get into the arcane rules of racing according to the several different legends represented in the instructions: YRA, Light list #, your chart, my chart (e.g. PSB# 2) and (my favorite) just plain English.

The Singlehanded Sailing Society has most usually referred sailors to marks with names. Singlehanders are busy trimming sails and trying not to fall off our boats. We also have no crew to read aloud to us ("Not that island! The other island!") For instance, Red Rock, Harding Rock, Alcatraz. Blossom Rock. With these race instructions we have the opportunity to learn about the Coast Guard Light List, Volume 6. Is it full of esoteria? Yes, yes it is. And once you buy into it, you go down the Rabbit Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Philpott/Desktop/Sailing/Safety%20Issues/LightList%20V6.pdf

Find here the four pages of the only part of the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays that you need care about on Saturday.

And remember, your chart plotter has several different settings for the coordinates. Make sure yours is synced to the same as are posted here. [Hint: The Light list locations are synced to Degrees and Minutes. You didn't know that your chart plotter had different settings? Well, lucky you to have read the SSS Forum today. Better now than offshore. Don't ask how someone would know that].

Better still, instead of all this bother, just stay behind Dura Mater. WAY behind Dura Mater. Stay back until you finish to starboard of "Killer Green" aka RCH-7. If you come into the RYC clubhouse anyone will be able to tell you how it got its name.

Thanks for this --- I'd made a slide with all the Light List Coordinates for the competitor's meeting, and then decided to drop it when a) I did not have time to re-sort it in race-rounding order; b) I did not have good coordinates for the Bob Klein buoy.

But in light of this post, I think that was a mistake.

So on jibeset now you'll see the slide I (in hindsight) should have shared. It is still not sorted, and it still does not list the RYC Bob Klein buoy. But it may be helpful. Look for "Light List Slide" at the bottom of the notice area on https://jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00937578 .

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair.

Philpott
04-20-2023, 05:43 PM
And remember: Slow down. Stay behind this boat

This just in from one of my editors:

"Better to say “keeping ‘Killer Green’ to starboard” as this is the more common verbiage."

Jonathan Gutoff
04-20-2023, 06:26 PM
Thanks Richard. I guess the NOAA charts are not as accurate as yours. Is that Navionics you are using?

fauxboat
04-20-2023, 08:41 PM
Jonathan I think your chart is perfectly accurate --- if you're moving a 1600 ton vessel, bla, bla, bla, that is a regulated navigation area.

The problem is figuring out what the restriction actually is. I'm reading CFRs and manually plotting points for that, so it's not like I have a good system.

What I do have is a free system that puts me firmly in control if I'm willing to do a lot of work:
* I grab the ENC vector charts directly from NOAA.
* I pull the specific layers I want into a free Geographic Information System (GIS) tool. I used to use GRASS, but switched to qGISa few years ago.
* I then putz around in GIS and read the specs for the S-57 format to figure out what I'm looking at in the raw ENC.

To show a little of what that looks like, here's the US5CA31M chart, showing the usual layers I use, with my usual formatting:

Regulated areas are the RESARE layer in the S-57 spec, so importing that for US5CA31M shows

Oh, look, the whole bay is a regulated area.

Fiddling in gQIS to color code by RCID we can see the boundaries of each area:

I know that doesn't look like it did anything, but what we're seeing is that one area, in blue, is the whole bay and it may be covering other areas. So we can use the power of qGIS to hide the blue polygon, RCID 3870:

I'm going to ignore the blue area --- someone else can make a trivia contest question about what the restriction is for that.

Moving right along, there's two areas here, in purple and gold-ish. Looking in the attribute table, or labeling them with the INFORM column (per the S-57 spec), we can see the CFR numbers:

And then I have to read the CFR to figure out what the restricted area actually means -- and for CFRs that call out multiple areas, as 33 CFR 165.1181 does, I have then generated my own polygons to know what sub-part is what. See earlier discussion.

It's a little work, but if I can make slightly better races for the SSS members because of it, a little work is worthwhile.

But I would not recommend it for the casual SSS racer. I'm sure Navionics is far, far more friendly.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair.

fauxboat
04-20-2023, 09:18 PM
I should add, the downside to doing all this is that I have probably formed an unrealistic impression of how easy or hard it is to go find buoys, when given the official buoy name and light list number.

Is that not available in navionics, perhaps by clicking on some likely suspects? Other boat-owner chartplotter tools?

For that matter, do people still use the paper charts NOAA is phasing out? PDF charts?

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair

Wylieguy
04-21-2023, 12:01 AM
Have you thought about running all these charts and description by the Coast Guard Permit Office? Pat Broderick