Bill/Dolfin was net control for the 1700 UTC net on 6B. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana – has arrived under the gate in san francisco rainbow – arrived san francisco – nightmare – 38 42’N x 126 26’W 088T @ 5.0kts wind 6-7 mixed seas tiger beetle – arrived in Neah Bay,WA jacqueline – 38 12’N x 127 30’W 098T @ <3.0kts wind 3kts seas flat dolfin 33 15’N x 131 47’W 356M @ 0.4k, wind 2-4 seas flat Still becalmed morning star 38 24’N x 139 35”W 110T @ <3.0k, wind 3-5 seas 5-7ft madrone – no report received – owl – see below e-mail iris – see below e-mail Nightmare’s wind finally shifted w-nw last night. This morning it’s out of the north. Sailing with full main and #2 jib .It was s glorious night with Mars, Jupiter, and Venus filling the sky along with the Milky Way. The three planets each casting a reflection on the water. Mike slept in Jacquelin’s cockpit last night to avoid engine noise and also enjoyed the star show. Dolfin still becalmed. Gribs show no good motor path to wind for several days at least. Current pulling him NW west 0.4kts. 15gal of fuel remaining won’t get him to wind so will have to wait till maybe the 9th. All OK on board. Morning Star moving slowly in south wind from the trof passing through. SMS – NIGHTMARE, JACQUELINE and OWL all Report with indications that all is well: Email From NIGHTMARE: Pos. 38 41.780n. 126 17.580w. Cse 088t Spd 4.7 Wind 6-7 north Seas mixed Long w-nw swell with 2 ft from north Beautiful sky last night Doing good IRIS as of 2041 PST Iris made 168 bumpy miles first 24 out of Hanalei. Sunday wind has decreased to 20 to 22 rather than 25 to 27. Vane, with new control lines,sail and spare paddle is steering fine. Still sailing with reduced sail: double reefed main and partially rolled 100% get me home jib.Presently at 1725 local 335 UTC, we’re steering 352 T at 7 knots.All is well.
Bill/Dolfin was net control for the 1700 UTC net on 6B. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana – no report received rainbow – arrived san francisco – nightmare – 38 54’N x 127 12’W 092T 4.5kts wind 6-8 seas calm tiger beetle – arrived in Neah Bay jacqueline – no report received dolfin 33 12’N x 131 44’W 256M @ 0.9k, wind 2-3 seas 1′ Still becalmed morning star 38 19’N x 141 11”W 090T @ 5.0k, wind 6-10 seas 4-6′ madrone – no report received – owl – no report received -see e-mail below iris – no report received Nightmare read for a while, played guitar, listened to some music. Now the tough decision, what to fix for supper. Pasta Primavera or Chana Masala. Dolfin still becalmed. Gribs show no good motor path to wind for several days at least. Current pulling him back west at 20 miles a day. Lots of AIS ship targets, must be in shipping lane. Had nice cockpit shower today and has enjoyed the serenity so far but this could get old fast. Plenty of provisions. Morning Star modified Monitor control lines and it’s much improved. DolfinBill Via Email: Hello All,1524 hours Hawaii33° 55 N/154°49′ WSOG 5 KNOTS @69° MWIND 10 TO 20 KNOTS @0° TO 320° MBP 1019.4 mbVery squally through the night and into the day. We have been finding the optimal way to handle such large changes in velocity and driection which cycle every hour or so.
Bill/Dolfin was net control for the 1700 UTC net on 6B. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana 38 01’N x 124 54’W 107T @ 5.5k, wind 11-12 seas 1-2′ rainbow – arrived san francisco – nightmare 38 02’N x 128 03’W 068T @ 3.0k, wind 3-5 seas calm tiger beetle – arrived Neah Bay, Washington jacqueline 38 14’N x 130 02’W 099T @ 5.6k, wind 10-12 seas 1-2′ dolfin 33 13’N x 131 41’W ? @ 0.0k, wind 2-3 seas 1′ morning star 38 24’N x 142 09’W 085T @ 5.2k, wind 8-10 seas 6-8′ madrone – no report received – owl – see below iris – see below Kynntana had a sleepless night but is happy to be getting close to the Gate. Nightmare had a slow, drizzly evening. Heard a squawk on the VHF but couldn’t make it out. Tiger Beetle did not come up on the net, probably because he is getting some much deserved sleep in Neah Bay. Jacqueline had perfect sailing yesterday but now plans to motor to 127W to catch the NW wind. Dolfin has been becalmed since 0300 last night. Gribs show no change in his location for maybe 3 days. Has around 100 miles range left of diesel which won’t get him to wind so will clean stuff (himself) up, read lots of books and wait. Morning Star is out of the heavy wind and sailing downwind toward SF where he plans to dock again in Alameda before the return trip south to SD. DolfinBill Via Email: SMS – NIGHTMARE & JACQUELINE, OWL Report all is well Email from IRIS: Iris finally got out of Hanalei at 1320 local time. Left rain squalls in the bay for fresh trade winds of 25 knots. Steering 355 mag 6.5 to 8 knots. 3 onboard. All is well. Rather bumpy. Email From OWL: Hello All,1513 HOURS HAWAII33°24′ N/156°46′ WSOG 5.1 KNOTS @50° MWIND 11 KNOTS @355° MBP 1023.2 mbMotored through the night for total of 10 hours. Now sailing in relatively benign seas. Had large rain squall around 10am. Hope all is well.John, the Whoo in Owl Email from NIGHTMARE: Pos. 39 02.646n. 128 01.985w. Cse 062t Spd 1.5 Wind calm Seas calm Drifting All good aboard
Carliane/Kynntana was net control for this afternoon’s 0200 UTC net on 6B. Bill/Dolfin will be net control for the Sunday morning 1700 UTC net on 6B. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana 38 07’N x 126 52’W 102T @ 6.8k, wind 15k seas 3-4′ rainbow – arrived san francisco – nightmare 38 59’N x 128 59’W 080T @ 1.7k, wind 2.5k seas calm tiger beetle 48 11’N x 125 50’W 070T @ 5.1k, motoring wind calm with 4′ swell jacqueline — no report received — dolfin 33 27’N x 132 12’W 075M @ 3.5k, wind 5-8 seas calm morning star — no report received — madrone – no position report received (see note below) – owl 33 24’N x 156 46’W 050M @ 5.1k, wind 11k iris – no report received – Kynntana says last night and today have been absolutely fantastic sailing. They have had mostly steady 12-13 knots of wind. Sea state has calmed a bit this evening. It looks like conditions are going to hold through the night, although maybe a little lighter on the wind. Expected arrival to Golden Gate Bridge is early morning Monday. Nightmare says breeze picked up this morning and he set a light kite around 0700. Had 10 knots for a couple hours and it has slowly decreased since then. Right now, he thinks the swell is pushing him faster than the wind… Tiger Beetle is still motoring along in glassy conditions towards Cape Flattery to Neah Bay. He plans to check into the marina there to get fuel and a long sleep. He spent part of today readying the dock lines and fenders. Has about 45 miles to go. Dolfin says he’s planning to make way to Catalina Island where he will decompress before emerging into civilization again. He did that a few years ago and it was perfect. He is also looking forward to some hiking soon. Madrone says they have found breeze!! They even flew the spinnaker last night. They are reporting 15-18 knots of wind and are psyched that they are now roaring along. Owl has been motoring through the night for total of 10 hours. He is now sailing in relatively benign seas. Had large rain squall around 10am.
Carliane/Kynntana was net control for the morning 1700 UTC net on 6B, Beetle scribe. Conditions were light but clear. Carliane will be net control for this afternoon’s 0200 UTC net on 6B. Bill/Dolfin will take over as net control for Sunday. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana 38 08’N x 128 03’W 091T @ 5.4k, wind 9 seas 2-3′ rainbow – arrived san francisco – nightmare 38 55’N x 129 54’W 072T @ 6.0k, wind light seas 2-3′ tiger beetle 47 57’N x 126 50’W 071T @ 4.7k, motoring wind 0-3 seas glassy jacqueline 38 23’N x 132 32’W 098T @ 3.5k, wind 6-8 seas calm dolfin 33 31’N x 133 02’W 090M @ 6.3k, wind 10-12 seas 2-3′ morning star 38 19’N x 144 19’W 090T @ 6.5k, wind 25-30+ seas 6-8′ rain madrone – no report received – owl 33 02’N x 157 35’W 050M @ 5.4k, motoring wind < 6 iris – no report received – Kynntana has been sailing in variable winds, up and down through the night. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day on board – perhaps making changes to the mainsail? Nightmare was motor sailing all night, Greg thinks the Grib files don’t look promising for wind to the coast at the moment – this might become a light wind slog. Tiger Beetle is motoring along in glassy conditions towards Cape Flattery, and then just inside the Cape is Neah Bay. Plans to be there Sunday morning to obtain additional diesel and sleep. Ran through a set of longliners off Washington last night. Jacqueline has stopped the motor and is enjoying the quiet but slow ride to the light SW wind. Might have more wind later on today. Dolfin still has breeze and Bill is happy about this. The High is due to arrive perhaps tomorrow. Down to 14 gallons of fuel, not enough to motor out of the High. Bill tried to hail Owl and Iris on 6B, nothing heard. Morning Star is barreling along with high winds and seas associated with the southern edge of the Low currently filling the NE Pacific. His Commanders Weather forecast/routing says he will have wind for another four days – it sure looks like it! Owl is motoring along in light swells, had a glorious sunrise.
Carliane/Kynntana was net control on 0200 UTC 6B. She will also be net control for the 1700 net on 6B tomorrow morning, but Beetle will be scribe. position reports riff rider — no report — kynntana 38 04’N x 132 06’W 098T @ 5.3k, wind 9-10 seas 3-4′ rainbow 38 18’N x 124 53’W 090M @ 7-12k, wind 25-30 seas 6-8′ nightmare 39 12’N x 133 52’W 076 @ 6.0k, wind 8 seas 4-5′ tiger beetle 46 59’N x 131 48’W 076T @ 6.8k, wind 13-17 seas 5′ jacqueline — no report — dolfin 34 34’N x 136 33’W 108M @ 6.2k, wind 10-12 seas 4-5′ morning star — no report madrone 37 11’N x 138 40’W 084M @ 2.5k, wind 0-8 seas 1-3 owl 30 06’N x 157 07’W 355M @ 6.2k, wind 12k Lots of static on net and some discussion was hard to hear. Kynntana got some of her heebie jeebies under control and went up the mast to pull a broken drill bit (part of a failed attempt to fix the rivets) and to lube the ratchets for an expected climb on Friday. Wind has been so variable up and down that she doesn’t want to go to the deep reef until necessary. But, not do it too late either. Given the wind that Cliff/Rainbow is seeing, she absolutely doesn’t want to wait too late. Rainbow is hunkered down inside the cabin while the autopilot is having trouble keeping up with the sea state. He was looking for weather info on Point Reyes to see if it might lighten up soon. Nightmare says he tried to fly a spinnaker today. How was that possible?! Tiger Beetle had a good day of sailing. He got through 132W and reports that the forecast is looking a lot better than it had. He is very, very happy. Dolfin says all is fine. He’s been on a nice beam reach. It seems he’s running along a trough. Madrone is taking their time through the high. Carliane/Kynntana was not to send out yesterday the email message about fishing equipment so that should arrive soon. Owl reports that he had good sailing.
Carliane/Kynntana was net control for the 0200 UTC 6B radio net. She will also be net control for the 1700 UTC 6B net, but Beetle will be scribe. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana 38 08’N x 129 45’W 090T @ 6.2k under motor, wind 6-11 seas 1-2′ rainbow AT BERTH IN EMERYVILLE – WHOOHOOO, Cliff!! nightmare 39 50’N x 131 39’W 083T @ 6.0k, wind 4-7 seas calm with 2-3′ swell tiger beetle 47 37’N x 128.33’W 085T @ 5.0k, wind 8-10 seas 1-2′ jacqueline — no report received — dolfin 33 48’N x 134 32’W 085M @ 6.8k, wind 12-14 morning star 38 16’N x 146 10’W 085T @ 6.2k, wind 12-18 seas 6-8′ madrone 37 28’N x 137 52’W 040T @ 3.5k, wind 8k seas 1-2′ owl 32 10’N x 157 33’W 335M @ 5.0k, wind 8k seas 1-2′ wind waves There was a lot of static on the net so discussions were kept to a minimum. Kynntana had a frustrating day of sailing with highly variable winds; engine on; engine off; short sail; engine on; engine off; short sail; repeat…. Rainbow has landed! Cliff reports that Rainbow is in her berth at Emeryville. Amazingly, he offered to bring Carliane’s son, Shawn, out to see his mom come into SF Bay. Shawn had been in Hanalei and Cliff took him sailing. This generous offer, and the thought of Cliff wanting to take Rainbow back out on the ocean after spending nearly the past 3 weeks at sea, brought a tear to Carliane’s eye; her heart fills with gratitude for such an amazing group of sailors. Unfortunately, Shawn lives in Washington, DC so that won’t be possible. Cliff also clarified that he plans to meet Kynntana at the gate….he’s not heading back out on the ocean just yet 🙂 Nightmare reports that he has been motor sailing all day. He topped up fuel @ 1500hst and has 1/2 gallon left over, plus 2 1/2 gallon reserve. Tiger Beetle is looking at landfall at Neah Bay for Sunday morning. He is expecting the winds to shut down in another 100 miles. Madrone says thank you to Kynntana for information on fishing. Owl reports that wind is highly variable ranging 0 to 10 knots. They played around with the drifter and successfully drifted. Also expect to start motoring NE this evening. Still hoping for the predicted flow from west to east (ish) due to the low coming in from the north.
Carliane/Kynntana was net control for the 1700 UTC net on 6B, Beetle scribe. Conditions were good on the net. Kynntana will continue as net control for the afternoon net 0200 UTC 6B. position reports riff rider – no report received – kynntana 38 08’N x 130 42’W 072M @ 3.8k, wind 6-11 seas calm rainbow 37 49’N x 122 47’W – at golden gate bridge in fog entering the bay – nightmare 39 01’N x 132 39’W 088T @ 5.0k, wind calm seas calm motoring tiger beetle 47 33’N x 129 41’W 091T @ 5.1k, wind 13-15 seas 3′ jacqueline 38 35’N x 134 50’W 105T @ 4.2k, wind 3 seas calm motoring dolfin 34 05’N x 135 19’W 130M @ 5.6k, wind 8-10 seas 1-2′ morning star 38 18’N x 147 08’W 108T @ 4.5k madrone – no report received – owl 30 06’N x 157 07’W 355M @ 6.2k, wind 12 iris – no report received – lively discussion on the net this morning, sounded like people are well-rested and upbeat. Kynntana continues to sail and motor-sail with the mainsail as is. Saving the effort to put in the big reef until the winds are likely to pick up. Rainbow was becalmed in front of the golden gate bridge in fog, heavy traffic, and trying to avoid the crab pots. Cliff was only on the net long enough to tell us that and then went back on deck to work his way into the bay. He may come up on the net this afternoon if he’s still on the boat in the marina. Nightmare is motoring along with his outboard, not much wind through the night and did not get much sleep. Tiger Beetle in sailing DDW as the wind swings from NW to SW as the front sets up to the west. Not fast, but very pleasant. Jacqueline has been caught by the High, calm since last night. Rather than bob in the water a’la Madrone, Mike has the motor on ticking over and continuing to move east. Dolfin is about to get run over by the High and doesn’t have fuel remaining to motor clear. Bill is looking at several days of hanging out in the High with his books and munchies. Morning Star came up on the net, Lee sounded chipper as always. He’s having difficulty getting through to sailmail stations to do his email, and has received a weather briefing from Commanders Weather that has Lee feeling better about what he’s up to. Lee might end up in San Francisco rather than San Diego, it’s all up to the weather. Owl reports an excellent day on the water, and is a few hours from making his turn to the east.
Cliff/Rainbow was net control on 0200 UTC 6B. Beetle was scribe. Carliane/Kynntana is net control for tomorrow’s net, up at 1700 UTC on 6B. position reports riff rider 39 09’N x 136 39’W 092 @ 5.4k kynntana 38 04’N x 134 41’W 095T @ 5.8k, wind 9 seas 3-4′ rainbow 38 48’N x 128 38’W 080M @ 7.0k, wind 14 seas 2-3′ nightmare 39 19’N x 136 44’W 072 @ 6.5k, wind 8-10 seas 4-5′ tiger beetle 46 12’N x 135 36’W 077T @ 6.5k, wind 12-14 seas 4′ jacqueline 38 54’N x 138 48’W 094 @ 5.9k dolfin 35 48’N x 138 55’W 108M @ 7.0k, wind 11-15 seas 3-4′ morning star 37 56’N x 149 25’W 050 @ 3.2k madrone 37 30’N x 140 39’W 080M @ 4.0k, wind 3-8 seas 1-3 owl 28 00’N x 157 23’W 010M @ 5.7k, wind 16 nice discussion on net after roll call. Kynntana continues to ponder the mast question. Some boats have sewn nylon foot straps up along the mainsail luff, that might be something to discuss with a sailmaker. Rainbow is now Radio Rainbow: this morning he had Jimmy Buffet playing over the radio to close out the net, this evening I think it was Amazing Grace. Nightmare has repaired his autopilot (go Greg!), and is trying to figure out why his AIS receiver does not alarm when a target is found. Tiger Beetle is aiming for a line 250 miles offshore from Cape Flattery (line now 204 miles away), would like to be there before Saturday morning. The forecast has the front not going east of the line. Dolfin is running east away from the encroaching High. Similar to Beetle, he has a line he is aiming at. Bill also had a funny story from when he arrived in Strait of Juan de Fuca from Oahu, 17 day run, he was asleep below when the scent of evergreen trees filled the cabin and it was way too much to take, so he ran on deck to see what was wrong and realized they were surrounded by trees! Madrone is wondering about fishing equipment. Kynntana responded and will send over a note about what they are using. Owl reports the wind is down but the sea state remains at the moment, so difficult to increase speed.
Cliff/Rainbow was net control for the 1700 UTC radio net on 6B, Beetle as scribe. Kynntana is net control for this afternoon’s net at 0200 UTC on 6B and send the net recap email. position reports riff rider 39 14’N x 137 30’W 092 @ 5.9k, (tracker report) kynntana 38 02’N x 135 45’W 085T @ 5.6k, wind 10-13 seas 3-4′ rainbow 38 55’N x 129 51’W 075M @ 6.0k, wind 11 seas 1-2′ nightmare 39 19’N x 137 58’W 075 @ 7.0k, wind 8-10 seas 2-4 tiger beetle 45 57’N x 136 57’W 075T @ 6.2k, wind 14-17 seas 4′ jacqueline 38 56’N x 139 59’W 095T @ 6.0k, wind 6 seas 1-2 motor-sailing dolfin 36 12’N x 139 54’W 100M @ 6.2k, wind 10-12 seas 2-3′ morning star 37 18’N x 149 51’W 045 @ 4.3k, (tracker report) madrone – no report – owl 27 15’N x 157 33’W 010M @ 5.3k, wind 21 seas SLOW Kynntana has good sailing, still fussing with the main that is stuck at the first reef due to straps around the mast to hold the track on. Carliane is scheming on how to lower the sail if needed should there be heavier winds ahead. This requires a climb up the rig which is tough as there’s nothing to hold on to and she spins around the rig and gets banged up while working on the straps. Rainbow has good sailing. Nightmare had the X-5 autopilot quit on a seatalk failure, swapped in the ST2000 and is continuing on. Found a bad connection in the wiring and is testing today. Tried to hail Riff Rider on VHF 16, no response – they are in the same area. Tiger Beetle continues to plug away ENE, hoping to get far enough east to not be whacked by a front due in the area later in the week. So far so good. Jacqueline sailed last night and now motoring to continue eastward to try and avoid the High about to swallow him up. Morning email from JACQUELINE that the hammer down strategy seems to have paid off and he feels safely out of the westerward expansion of the high… Dolfin saw the same High coming and shift course slightly south to try and stay under the High, where there will be wind to sail along under the High. Owl is cranking along into a large sea state and high winds, lots of bashing there as he travels across the trades.