Page 292 of 628 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

My 10 day post-op visit with the surgeon and his PA was upbeat: 3 x-rays showed things properly aligned. ROM (range of motion) at zero (straight leg) to 125 degrees (bent leg.) "Best we've ever seen." I can walk at home without a cane, slowly hike upstairs, and pedal the stationary bike at low resistance. PT therapist visits 2x/week.

TKR is no walk in the park, but currently weather is moderating, equivalent from changing up from SJ and 3rd reef, to a sail combo of 2nd reef and #4 as the gale of pain is beginning to diminish and veer. I'm slowly tapering off Oxy, and continue to set alarm for 0100 for Tramadol and Tylenol cocktail taken 4x/day.

OF concern for home care nurses has been high blood pressure, likely due to the swelling and trauma of surgery, the plethora of meds, and the stress of keeping things together while not being able to drive for month and sleep interruptions. Toss in wifi being down for a week, a CVS pharmacy shorting me drugs..a low dose blood pressure med (Norvasc) was prescribed by my GP and has set things to right.

One thing no one mentions is the difficulty of getting into and out of thigh high compression socks with a swollen leg, similar to getting into wet socks and sea boots. Various techniques have been suggested but none have stuck.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes. All in all, a walk in the park compared to this fellow's challenge https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018...-wife-and-son/

What are the chances, two neighbors, in photo below, live 6 houses apart, (myself and Bronwyn) unknown to each other, have same surgery and surgeon at same hospital, same day, 3 hours apart, have same home care nurses and PT therapist..
    Name:  knee6.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  799.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-02-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Congrats to Randall on MOLI on his safe passage 'round Cape Horn! Two thoughts: one Randall has his shit together, being able to repair his broken Monitor windvane tube in 20 minutes with spares standing by for such an eventuality.

Second, Randall is using his twin jibs in textbook manner, roller reefing and unreefing, poling out one side, or the other, or both sides simultaneouly, leaving the main lowered and brailled so as to avoid accidental gybes in breaking seas. First time I've seen anyone describe 3 different types of breaking seas.

Respect. Carry on, Good Sir. http://figure8voyage.com/blog/
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.

This just in from Capt. Bob, bicycling near Kahuku Point, the most northerly point on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. An albatross is nesting and sitting on an egg nearby the bicycle trail.

Name:  albatross.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  2.07 MB

These magnificent birds are much endangered, not only from ocean plastic, but also human interference. It will be interesting to see if this albatross can hatch its egg, given the nest's proximity to dogs, rats, mongoose, and humans. At least the location is roped off.

Capt. Bob, retired Matson captain, also notes his last command, the SS KAUAI, is now FWE ("Finished With Engines") along with sister-ship SS MAUI and both are moored at Alameda Naval Air Station before being sent to the ship breakers. End of an era for Matson. Replacements ships are being delivered to Matson that are more economical, faster: 24 knots, and can carry more carge. The first in the new "Aloha Class" containership, DANIEL K. INOUYE, incorporates the latest environmentally friendly technology, including dual fuel engines that can be adapted to use liquefied natural gas (LNG), has double hull fuel tanks, fresh water ballast systems and a more fuel efficient hull design.

Name:  Kauai.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  116.6 KB
    SS MAUI & SS KAUAI

Name:  dki.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  45.5 KB
    SS DANIEL K INOUYE
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-04-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Restoration of the TIGER BEETLE. This is a good story. Who would have thought this vicious predator may soon hunt again?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/s...unt-again.html

2019 will be the last running of the Race2Alaska in it's present configuration. Unnamed changes will occur in 2020 but have not yet been announced. Natalie would go. Will you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOL...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-06-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    2019 will be the last running of the Race2Alaska in it's present

!configuration. Unnamed changes will occur but have not yet been announced.
    Awww c’mon! That’s just wrong to not tell us! Or at least me! I already have the Swan hotel booked.
    In fact, why haven’t those retrobates called me personally?

In the R2AK's new configuration, only singlehanders will be eligible to win the ten grand.

I heard it on the internet - it must be true!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In the R2AK's new configuration, only singlehanders will be eligible to win the ten grand.
    I heard it on the internet - it must be true!
    That would really dial it back. No sponsored boats? Russell would win, of course. Again. Just him and that reconditioned, repurposed beautifully rebuilt Gugeon. I’d like to see people try to beat him, though. While evading the
    Bears and the floating logs in the dark. And where is Roger the Mann, anyway? That was my one disappointment: Roger wasn’t there.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-06-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Now that would definitely dial it back. No sponsored teams. Now that’s attractive. Of course Russell would win. Again.
    You'll see Russell in Victoria, if not before .....He and Ashlyn will race their G-32 cat INCOGNITO in the first leg of the 2019 R2AK from PT to Victoria June 3, 2019. But not the full course. Two time competitor Russell Brown holds the singlehanded record for the R2AK

Name:  incognito3.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  340.9 KB.

My current favorite for the 2019 R2AK is the 35 foot tri DRAGON, recently shipped deck cargo from New Zealand to Sidney, BC for Team Pear Shaped Racing:

Name:  dragon.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  Dragon2.jpeg
Views: 642
Size:  88.2 KB

Check out the (lack of) protection for the driver when sailing at 20 knots, at night, in 35 degrees and 40 degree water. I would be remiss to mention the crew of DRAGON dropped out of the 2017 R2AK the first night due to hypothermia while sailing a different multi.....Hopefully lesson learned?
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-07-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    This just in from Capt. Bob, bicycling near Kahuku Point, the most northerly point on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. An albatross is nesting and sitting on an egg nearby the bicycle trail.
    The world's oldest known wild bird, a Laysan albatross that is at least 68 years old, has laid another egg.

Name:  Wisdom.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  105.9 KB

Wisdom, who returns each year to Midway Atoll to nest, was seen back at her favorite nest site in late November, and biologists at Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge have confirmed she's brooding.

The remarkable albatross is believed to have laid nearly 40 eggs over the course of her life, although it's impossible to know the precise number.

She has single-wingedly transformed scientists' understanding of albatross lifespans and the age limits on avian reproduction. The bird is "a world renowned symbol of hope for all species that depend upon the health of the ocean to survive," according to the Fish and Wildlife Service.

Wisdom is not just continuing to procreate — she's doing it at an impressive clip, too. Many albatrosses take a year off between eggs because the process of laying and incubating an egg is so energy-intensive.

But every year since 2006, Wisdom and her current mate, Akeakamai, have laid an egg at the same nest in Midway Atoll.

When not raising their young there, Wisdom and Akeakamai are world travelers. Albatrosses are renowned long-distance fliers, capable of soaring thousands of miles almost without even flapping their massive wings, more than 6 feet across.

Wisdom has probably flown more than 3 million miles over the past six decades — far enough to fly to the moon and back six times.

The birds find food on the surface of the ocean, mostly at night. "They feed on anything that floats on the surface of the water; squid, fish, crustaceans and flying fish eggs," the Fish and Wildlife Service writes. "Unfortunately, this includes marine debris as well; with an estimated 5 tons of plastic that was mistaken for floating fish eggs or squid being fed to chicks each year."

Wisdom was first banded by biologist Chandler Robbins in 1956, along with thousands of other albatrosses. At the time, she was already mature, or older than 5 years old. That means we know Wisdom is at least 68 — but she could easily be even older than that.

Wisdom carried Robbins' band around the globe for decades. Then, astonishingly, the biologist and the bird were reunited in 2002, when Robbins returned to Midway to research albatrosses again. He rebanded Wisdom and, checking the detailed band records, discovered he had placed her original band there 46 years before.

In 2006, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service staff located Wisdom again and gave her yet another band, this one designed to make her easier to spot for monitoring. Since then, the FWS has kept a close eye on Wisdom.

In 2011, Wisdom survived a tsunami that crashed into Midway Atoll and killed thousands of birds. In 2015, Wisdom and Akeakamai lost an egg, possibly due to predators, but the couple successfully hatched chicks again in 2016, 2017 and February of this year.

Albatrosses lay just one egg at a time. Eggs take two months to hatch, and the chicks live at the nest for five months before they are ready to live on their own. During that time, mother and father alternate between nest duty and food foraging.

Akeakamai, means "lover of wisdom." And albatrosses mate for life, though it appears that Wisdom outlived at least one partner before Akeakamai.

SSS singlehanders in the 2019 Long Pac or 2020 SHTP could possibly see an albatross. Fly me to the moon and back six times? Impressive bird!

As reported by NPR
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-07-2018 at 06:44 PM.