Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallest legal boat for SHTP

Default Smallest legal boat for SHTP

I was talking with Brian the other day, and he indicated that a Cal 20 wouldn't be accepted at a sea worthy boat anymore, or something along those lines. Don't go around quoting me quoting Brian :-)
    I wonder then, since the NOR still allows boats down to 20 feet, what 20 footer would be allowed to play. A corollary question would be: which ones of these stand a chance to do well?
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-01-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Given good prep and competent handling, many sub 25 footers are competitive for SHTP...primary reason being it is easier to sail a smaller boat at higher efficiency (potential)...everything's easier with smaller sails and loads. In addition, most older small designs have killer PHRF ratings. How ya gonna beat a Dana (Pacific Seacraft) 24 that spreads a cloud of sail, has a bigger foretriangle than an Olson 30, and rates 246?

Other 20 footers that would be SHTP competitive are a Wilderness 21, a Santana 22, a Cal 25, a J-22, a Yankee Dolphin, Olson 25...
    This 42 year old 25 footer won the SHTP overall, beating a well sailed Moore 24.

Name:  GG2.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  153.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-03-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Merit 25... Several have done the race.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

This thread was given the title as the "Smallest legal boat for SHTP", but in its first sentence there appeared a statement about the seaworthiness of a Cal 20. Since my Cal 20 has been the smallest boat to do the race, I felt I should respond to make sure that the Cal 20 (or any boat, really) is represented fairly. No matter what the size of the boat, the Race Committee must feel confident that it is seaworthy. The committee will need to have clearly define criteria for evaluating seaworthiness so that all boats are judged equally.

Black Feathers (2008 SHTP) had one significant seaworthiness concern to me which was pointed out by Skip Allen (1978, 2008 SHTP). That concern was the large cockpit size and its ability to quickly drain. Although I did not alter the size of the cockpit before the 2008 SHTP, I did spend a great deal of time after the race to develop a way of reducing the cockpit's volume by 2/3 rds. With that in mind, I would hate to see a Cal 20 eliminated simply because it was a Cal 20, but I would have no problems with a requirement concerning cockpit volume and drainage abilities. [U]This however has always been a requirement of the SHTP.[U] Possibly any boat with which the Race Committee has seaworthiness concerns should have a chance to demonstrate an acceptable remedy for those concerns before they are eliminated.

Size limits (both small and large) are always the bane of any Race Committee. These limits will define who may play, and who may not. Any changes in the SHTP rules should be fully discussed and considered because such changes may forever change the nature of this unique race.

Live the dream,
    Sail beyond

Robert Crawford of Black Feathers (and now, also, a Flicka 20, which is a lot more comfortable!)
    RobertsInMiWuk@yahoo.com
    >

Why not increase the cockpit drain size ?

Brian

The Cal 20 has an engine well in the cockpit and usually a 1 to 1 1/2" drain hole going into the well. I not only expanded the hole to 3", but also raised the well cover by 2" to allow water to enter. There is a cover on the bottom of the hull which is not that tight, but it does restrict the free flow of water out the well. You could not effectively sail with no cover at all because water would splash around in the well and slow your progress. Obviously extra cockpit drains could be added, but reducing the cockpit volume is more practical.

A wave filling a Cal-20 or other small craft cockpit will add many hundreds of pounds to the aft end, sinking the stern significantly. This water isn't going to drain very fast, if at all, as the cockpit drain is now likely underwater, causing backflow.

Bigger drains may help, but must be located higher up in the cockpit so as to minimize backflow. As Robert points out, reducing cockpit volume is more practical. One way to do this is to secure the liferaft, in it's water-tight hard shell container, on the floor of the cockpit.

Why is the lower length limit 20 ft. Why not 15.35 ft?

The minimum length to get a certificate from NorCal PHRF is 19 feet.

Is the question really the SMALLEST? ----- or the LEAST EXPENSIVE?

Columbia Challenger, appears functional $500...five hundred bucks.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa...789310591.html

It's not fast, but it'll get you there. Not only that with the probably 240+ PHRF rating, you can take 20 days to get there and still correct out and win!

Ranger 26... Again, not super fast but not ridiculous either. I'd look hard at compression under the mast, but if that's good, Ranger 26's are good, solid boats.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa...781198960.html
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-07-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"