Page 20 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

PEGASUS XIV ("Peggy Sue") would make a terrific SHTP competitor for First-To-Finish and Overall Corrected, which she won both in 1992. I've been aboard recently, and she is ready to go in all respects, just not Around the World as per owner's wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWdF6Io_07Y (interior)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plB0zeH-Gkg (exterior)

Name:  Pegasus XIV sailing.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  561.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2019 at 04:57 PM.

So far all builders I spoke to advised against using their boats for this trip. It started with the 52 foot Japanese boat in Oakland, then Wylie 39, then Farr 40, then Peagsus. I feel like I'm forgetting one ... Maybe I shouldn't ask. I wonder what Ericson would have said to Webb about taking an E37 in the Southern Ocean. Oh, yes, I never heard back from X-Yachts after multiple follow ups.

Only supportive builder: Pogo Structures. Just can't afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    So far all builders I spoke to advised against using their boats for this trip.
    No surprise. If you succeed, not many people will even be aware of what you accomplished in their boat. A relatively small segment of the sailing community, at best. If you fail, the mainstream media picks it up and all the world gets to learn that their boat killed you, or nearly did so. And then word gets out that they encouraged you to use their boat for this? By contrast, if you fail but they can say "we told him not to use our boat", then the bad PR is all yours, not theirs.

Even if they know their boat is up to the challenge, and that you are perfectly capable of pulling it off, I suspect they are not going to say either of those things to you. Given no real upside to them if you succeed, and major downside to them if you don't, my guess is they really do wish you would do this in someone else's boat.

I could be very wrong on this, in which case I hope someone here jumps in and says so. This opinion is based on my experiences with how decisions are made by entrepreneurs, investors, banks, home builders, politicians, etc., etc., etc. Maybe designers/builders of sail boats value outcomes differently, and put a high enough intrinsic value on bold achievement that they would happily lose the PR war for a chance at a kind of glory only they and a handful recognize. Perhaps.

But if not I think their disapproval counts for very little.
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 01-12-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Yeah I get that ... But ... The French Pogo guys happily say that their boat is built for this stuff :-) They even got me to email with a reference. So either you're right, or these builders really meant it when they said "nope".

In fact we could give this another try. Would anyone have a contact for Terry Alsberg so I could ask his thoughts about taking an Express 37 for my trip?

In fact we could give this another try. Would anyone have a contact for Terry Alsberg so I could ask his thoughts about taking an Express 37 for my trip?
    I tried Warmboard's contact form without success, yet. https://www.warmboard.com/about

Are you still married?

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Are you still married?
    Ah ... Yes, somehow things have improved there. Not sure why ...

Ah ... Yes, somehow things have improved there. Not sure why ...
    Good for you!

Meanwhile Alex Alley is continuing his attempt to break Guo's record, despite having lost his primary auto-pilot, and having only two.
    https://my.yb.tl/alexalley