Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    It is already under offer :-)
    Name:  MatthewTurner 2.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  497.1 KB

That's Bill Lee on the phone yesterday as we toured the brigatine MATTHEW TURNER in Sausalito. Bill is the broker for the SC-40 CAMELOT, listed above, and discussing results of the survey ....There weren't many SC-40's built, only 15, and I'll tell you possibly why in a moment. IMHO The SC-40 is a very good design, both comfortable and fast. It never achieved the popularity of the SC-50, another one of Bill's great successes.

The first SC-40 and the Olson 40 were launched within days of each other in the summer of 1982. There was great anticipation around Santa Cruz Harbor as to which was the better (faster) design. Both looked good as rigs were stepped and fitting out began....

The first head to head speed test of the SC-40 and Olson 40 came in a Wednesday Night Race two weeks after launching. It was really no contest. The Olson 40 finished at the Harbor Breakwater a mile ahead of the SC-40, and rumor began that the SC-40 was a dog and the O-40 a rocket ship. Whether this comparison helped George Olson sell 30 O-40's, I suspect it is true.

What I did see that Wednesday Night was that the SC-40 had been launched without bottom paint and in two weeks had accumulated significant growth that probably slowed the boat .25 knots in the 8-12 knots of wind. As well, the SC-40's skipper was the saleman, not a hotshot racing skipper ancd crew like was aboard the O-40 that evening. The coup de grace was the SC-40 getting lost in the fog and majorly overstanding Wharf Mark...losing several hundred yards in the "match race."

I sailed the 1983 Transpac on the Olson 40 PRIMETIME. It was a fast race, with dark nights, no moon, and continuous squalls. There were 8 Olson 40's and 4 SC-40's in that year's competitive race, all well sailed and crewed. A SC-40 MIMI-B was first of these 40 footers to Hono in 10 days, 19 hours (8.6 knots). But the Olson-40 REVENGE finished 3 hours later to correct out on the SC-40. All 12 boats finished boat for boat within 9 hours of each other...Incredible close racing not seen in 40 footers since the 15 Cal-40's of the 1967 Transpac.

My memory of that '83 race is both the SC-40's and Olson 40's were boat-for-boat even up in speed, regularly clicking off 205-215 mile daily runs. (8.75 knots). These were fully crewed boats (6 crew each) and not singlehanders. The dark nights and squalls took a toll on drivers, as vertigo and round ups were a common complaint.

Name:  SC-40.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  30.2 KB Name:  olson40.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  25.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Back in the days of printed SSS newsletters and the San Leandro 1-2, Erik Schwartz raced his SC-40 Rusalka singlehanded. He used a sock on the masthead symmetric spinnaker, snuffing it part way to jibe. I remember Erik being patient and helpful as I struggled to start racing singlehanded with my J/33 Troubadour, which also carried a big masthead kite.

Erik broke Rusalka's mast near the deck during a Corinthian Race (which was then called, somewhat redundantly, the "In The Bay" race). Quickly rigging halyards as stays, he kept the mast upright and it was repaired. A year or two later Erik and his wife moved to Maine and the boat fell on hard times. It's still on the Bay but I can't remember her current name.

I always thought the SC-40 was a better-looking boat than the Olson 40, and it seemed more stable and predictable.

Sled, didn't you do a safety inspection on Camelot for a Windjammers or Spinnaker Cup?
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-10-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Pegasus XIV sounds like a good candidate: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...nd-368-3215077

Pegasus XIV is a very cool boat.

You would be wise to book a flight to Seattle today! Dan and Linda are first class + folks, first class + sailors, and Dan is about the best boat builder in the world. The boat is so "one of a kind" (okay, there's another, but not as outfitted) that you just have to take a close look. Don't wait; someone will snap it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    You would be wise to book a flight to Seattle today! Dan and Linda are first class + folks, first class + sailors, and Dan is about the best boat builder in the world. The boat is so "one of a kind" (okay, there's another, but not as outfitted) that you just have to take a close look. Don't wait; someone will snap it up.
    I remember looking at the boat around 1991 while he was building it. I stood at the bow, he stood at the stern and we picked up the deck. Easily. Think about that. The deck of a 37 foot boat weighed <175 pounds.

Dan made two of them. Frank Dinsmore's boat came up for sale maybe 6-7 years ago. I DO remember Pegasus as having kind of a nightmare rig with multiple running backstays, but that might have changed in the intervening years.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Pegasus - great vessel

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Pegasus XIV sounds like a good candidate: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...nd-368-3215077
    PJ, as others have said Pegasus is a really well thought out and quick vessel. For the solo sailor it was thought through from top to bottom. Assuming the structure is still solid, and knowing Knowland's attention to detail, it likely is, it would be a top candidate.

BTW - have you looked at any Andrews designs ? They are pretty lean but do have some comforts. A quick design.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I remember looking at the boat around 1991 while he was building it. I stood at the bow, he stood at the stern and we picked up the deck. Easily. Think about that. The deck of a 37 foot boat weighed <175 pounds.

Dan made two of them. Frank Dinsmore's boat came up for sale maybe 6-7 years ago. I DO remember Pegasus as having kind of a nightmare rig with multiple running backstays, but that might have changed in the intervening years.
    As an aside, Pegasus has a HUGE cockpit, which is wide-open. That's great, en route to Hawaii. It's not so great in the Southern Ocean. Ditto for the SC 40.

I wonder if the modified SC50 "Sundowner" is around and for sale.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    As an aside, Pegasus has a HUGE cockpit, which is wide-open. That's great, en route to Hawaii. It's not so great in the Southern Ocean. Ditto for the SC 40.

I wonder if the modified SC50 "Sundowner" is around and for sale.
    Going West I won't sail much in the Southern Ocean, only when passing Cape Horn to starboard. And I really want to stick with <40 foot for budget/division reasons.

The broker for Pegasus xiv said he would get back to me on my request to speak with the owners.

Pegasus xiv, response from the owners:

They told me that the boat isn’t appropriate for a trip like yours unfortunately.