Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

I thought a water taxi had taken that spot. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I thought a water taxi had taken that spot. . . .
    The spot for the water taxi is nearest the restaurant. That leaves enough room for three small sailboats tied up to port heading in. There's room on the other side of the pier, but with the surge I've never felt comfortable docking on that side.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

. . . or perhaps Friday, if someone wants to crew for me but can't get away until then.

It’s time to take Morning Star down the coast to her own slip at Silver Gate Yacht Club. The autopilot has been thoroughly probed and tested, and it is definitely not fixable in time for this trip to San Diego. That’s really only a problem if we are becalmed: whether there is wind sail with, wind to motor sail with, or wind to motor against, the Monitor wind vane steers the boat beautifully. That said, there are calms often enough in SoCal – and enough traffic in and out of Long Beach -- that another pair of hands and eyes would be nice in this situation. I know it is last minute, and folks with real lives will have other plans heading into the long weekend, but if you are interested in crewing with me, give me a call and we can talk about the details. Four Ate Oh 215 Sixteen Seventy Four.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    . . . or perhaps Friday, if someone wants to crew for me but can't get away until then.

It’s time to take Morning Star down the coast to her own slip at Silver Gate Yacht Club. The autopilot has been thoroughly probed and tested, and it is definitely not fixable in time for this trip to San Diego. That’s really only a problem if we are becalmed: whether there is wind sail with, wind to motor sail with, or wind to motor against, the Monitor wind vane steers the boat beautifully. That said, there are calms often enough in SoCal – and enough traffic in and out of Long Beach -- that another pair of hands and eyes would be nice in this situation. I know it is last minute, and folks with real lives will have other plans heading into the long weekend, but if you are interested in crewing with me, give me a call and we can talk about the details. Four Ate Oh 215 Sixteen Seventy Four.
    . . . and I'll be at Island YC for the SHTP return fleet discussion tonight, if you want to talk to me about it then.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Fair winds Lee!
    Already have plans for the weekend , otherwise I would be glad to crew for you.

Default Sailing North of Red Rock

Dura Mater sees a weather/wind promise for tomorrow, November 8. Better than anything we're likely to get come the weekend. I think tomorrow will be a "working from the boat" day. What IS over that way? I've only sailed through en route to Vallejo and the Delta. If you care to join me, c'mon! A big ebb will wash us home.

San Pablo Bay, Suisun Bay, the West Delta and the San Francisco
    Bay north of the Bay Bridge-
    811 AM PST Wed Nov 7 2018

TODAY
    NE winds around 5 kt...becoming SW this afternoon.

TONIGHT
    N winds 5 to 15 kt with gusts up to 30 kt.

THU
    NE winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt.

THU NIGHT
    NE winds 5 to 15 kt.

FRI
    E winds 5 to 15 kt.

FRI NIGHT
    N winds 5 to 10 kt.

SAT
    N winds up to 10 kt.

VETERANS DAY
    NE winds up to 10 kt.
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-07-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Default Just Below Red Rock

When I arrived at Dura Mater the wind was whistling through the rigging, and the halyards were still, sort of, clanking. But the wind was dying down, for sure. There was a nice little burst as we left Potrero Reach, but shortly after exiting the wind calmed down. Wind that had showed great promise at 8:30 am in the high teens, was greatly reduced.

I'm not complaining, just noticing that the winter winds are back. For the first time this year I experienced a north wind at my "windward" slip, which meant that I couldn't raise my sails at the dock. Very confusing. I had to walk around the boat a couple of times in order to figure out which side tie to undo. Duh. Change = Bad.

So I went out and got some bad photos. Sailed over toward San Quentin until my fish finder registered 14' depth, then turned to starboard toward Red Rock. About that time the ebb became apparent as my speed was reduced from 6 to 3 knots. So I adapted and turned south again, and the ebb did wash me home. Ate my lunch, called my brother and then tried to figure out why the air quality was so bad. By the time I reached the entrance to Potrero Reach there was so much smoke in the air that I couldn't see either the Richmond or Bay Bridges. It was that terrible. I returned home to learn about the Camp Fire. Those poor people in Paradise.

Here is San Quentin from far away. Well, I didn't want to make any friends.

Name:  IMG-4102.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  498.4 KB

Here is Red Rock and the bridge, from a slightly different direction than we usually see as we race toward Vallejo.

Name:  Red Rock from the West.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  505.8 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-09-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Default Let's get focused, kids

No SSS races until the Fiasco? Seriously? Why, that's no fun! Who's in charge around here, anyway? Hebert, aren't you organizing a winter cruise out? Not just for you and Joan, either.

The Berkeley Yacht Club is having one of their weekly chowder races this Sunday. They are pretty consistent and race unless there is lightning. So, that's where Dura Mater will be this weekend. Starts off the Berkeley marina at 1 pm. C'mon over! I don't want to be the only singlehander again. It's stigmatizing ;-)

Print this for Berkeley Yacht Club Sunday races; everything is the same as for their summer Friday night races:

BYC Courses.pdf
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Why there could be a winter cruise-out, yes! Hm...probably February, though.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"