Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Sailing to the Ferry Building on Tuesday if there's even a breath of wind. Join me for lunch? Tying up to Pier 1 1/2. Look for Dura Mater.

Dura Mater has been in Grand Marina for five weeks now and I've gotten a lot of little tasks accomplished. There's more wind in Berkeley, and what that means is that I would arrive meaning to address something or another, but then I would sail instead because - well _ because there was wind! Duh.

Arrived Wednesday to find my dock mate Rob attaching his new grab bar. Yes, a beautiful, elegant grab bar worthy of Tiger Beetle.

I prepared DM for take off. Rob noted that it was drizzling. "No, it's not" I insisted to myself. So off we drifted into the non drizzle until, in front of the fuel dock DM and I found ourselves getting flushed out the estuary sideways in the ... Okay, in the drizzle. In the 4+ knot ebb.

But today! Today is another day! Slack at 13:36, max ebb of 4.3 only later @17:12

Should be plenty of wind. Who's gonna be out there today?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How about Thursday? According to my IPhone app, it's supposed to be sunny on Thursday. Would anybody like to meet up somewhere? I'll be sailing out of Berkeley. Should be wind. Maybe at the Ferry Building for lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    How about Thursday? According to my IPhone app, it's supposed to be sunny on Thursday. Would anybody like to meet up somewhere? I'll be sailing out of Berkeley. Should be wind. Maybe at the Ferry Building for lunch?
    Remember last week, when I invited you all to sail over and have lunch with me at the Ferry Building? Well, who should show up but Nathalie Criou. Yeah, singlehander Nathalie, she of the 2014 Transpac, former owner of Elise. She owns a new boat now. A Beneteau Figaro named Envolee with a little accent mark over one of the “e”s. I google translated it, and Envolee means “Flight’. Pretty cool name, huh?

While we ate Nathalie talked about the 2017 Le Solitaire du Figaro, which starts this summer on June 4. First of all, it is a sailing race that the French love. And the French love sailing like big dogs love tennis balls. I’ve attached a document from Google Translate for you, because the French don’t bother to post a description of the race in English. Why bother? They already have a gazillion people show up to say “Bon Voyage!” to the sailors. Americans would only clog up the docks. Why do the French love this race in particular? Because anybody can play. Although participants this year include Vendee Globe winners, there is also a “rookie” division for newby Solitaire sailors. If they qualify. Yes, here in our little backwater we may consider Nathalie a pretty experienced sailor, but over there she has to qualify to play with the big kids.

Nathalie is from Toulouse, France. When she told her mother that she plans to qualify for the Solitaire her mother replied, “Oh, Nathalie! That race is for really good sailors.” Huh. Will her mother be at the finish? I asked. Nathalie laughed. “I hope so!”

Here are some bits about the race: All Figaros are one design, and there are lots of them. Envolee is the second iteration of the boat, a Figaro 2. Next year there will be a Figaro 3, which will cause the Figaro 2 to become obsolete for the Solitaire, if not for racing. Envolee will still be special on our water, along with Crispen Barker’s Figaro Hot Socks. Over a previous lunch Brian Boschma told me about the design and marketing of the Hobiecat, which sounds similar to the way Beneteau has developed the Figaro (what we cosmopolitan types call “le Figaro”). Make the boats one design, make ‘em fast and fun, and they’ll sell like hotcakes. Set up a race in Virginia Beach and people will travel far to join in the experience. While it’s true that these Beneteaus are a bit pricier (okay, yeah, quite a bit pricier), what that means is that Nathalie can practice here on Envolee, then charter a Figaro in France to sail in the race with the expectation that everything on the boat should be in the same place. Lines led aft, the same type of rope and clutches, sails, etc. And since professionals who sail in the Figaro wouldn’t dream of using sails twice, sails are available for reasonable prices. That means that Envolee will be raced with “used” sails here in the Bay. Ha! With that information, try catching her.

Anyway, as a member of the Richmond Yacht Club Nathalie is being supported in part by its Sailing Foundation, the one that sells donated boats and pays for that Club’s remarkable youth sailing program. But she still needs some more financial support, something she admitted reluctantly. There is the roundtrip airfare to France for the qualifier and then back again for the race itself. And then there are provisions and the cost of the charter, the entry fee (approximately $3000) and the salaries of the support staff. But wait! Is there a support staff? No? Good thing. That would be expensive. It also means that Nathalie will have to do everything herself. Buy the food, schlep the provisions, fold the sails all alone at the end of each leg of the four leg race. Are we surprised? Take a look at the photos below of Nathalie preparing for the 2014 Transpac. See Doug Soderstrom waiting in the cockpit to help? I walked back and forth next to Nathalie several times at the Corinthian that year. I kept asking Doug, “Has she asked for help yet?” “Not yet,” he replied. Every time.

Here’s the thing: Nathalie is a singlehander through and through. She probably won’t ask for help. But when has that ever stopped members of the SSS from offering it? She will be sailing the Singlehanded Sailing Society burgee. If you would like to donate in some way, here is the URL for the Richmond Yacht Club’s foundation:

http://www.nathaliecriouracing.com/get-involved.html

And let’s remember to watch her on TV. She may be a foreigner, but she's our foreigner.

The Solitaire du Figaro 2017 will start on June 4th in Pauillac (Gironde) for four stages, before a scheduled arrival some 1,700 miles and three weeks later in Dieppe (Seine-Maritime) after a passage by Concarneau, announced Friday OC Sport -Pen Duick, organizer of the event.

Renowned Solitaire Urgo du Figaro since the arrival of its new sponsor, the race will bring together about forty boats for its 48th edition.

The first stage will lead the fleet of Bordeaux, via the estuary of the Gironde, as far as Gijón on the coast of Asturias. Then, the program will be a stop until Concarneau, then a sprint of 150 miles off the port of Breton. Follow The Solitaire URGO ✔ @ LaSolitaire2017
    Stage 2, the fleet will leave Asturias to join La Cornouaille and the city of Concarneau @regionbretagne 2:44 AM - Dec 2, 2016

The finish of the 4th and final stage will be in Dieppe. This post-Vendée Globe edition should record the participation of some tourdumondists, like Yann Eliès, triple winner of the event.

The course of the Solitaire du Figaro 2017 (1,700 miles):
    1st stage - Departure on 4th June: Bordeaux-Pauillac - Gijón (Spain) 525 miles
    2nd stage - Departure 10 June: Gijón (Spain) - Concarneau 520 miles
    3rd stage - Departure on 15th June: Concarneau - Concarneau 150 miles
    4th stage - Departure on June 19th: Concarneau - Dieppe 505 miles
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-29-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Jackie why do your pictures never fit on my screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Jackie why do your pictures never fit on my screen?
    Dunno, Steve. They fit on my iphone se screen. I took these shots of Nathalie w a real old Lumix camera. I'll send them to your email, see if that is any different. I hope we are not incompatible. :-)

062817 Sailing Tomorrow

Dura Mater has never been up the Delta, so up we go. Don't know why it's called "Up the Delta", when the sailing is downwind, but that's the way it is. People in Sacramento refer to it as "down the Delta". So now we know.

We will leave on a flood, Sunday morning, which starts at 6:30 am on Sunday July 2, sailing out of the Berkeley Marina. What to bring? Dave Morris says: "a bikini, tequila, mosquito repellent, sunscreen." He also told me to change my transmission fluid before I go, which I can do because he showed me how. And I'm taking three impellers because I have heard that the sea grass gums them up.

I'm taking Hal Schell's book Dawdling on the Delta, which I found on some rare book internet site. Mr Schell clearly loved the Delta, and his book has lots of photos. But here's the thing: it was published in 1983. That's a long time ago. Things may have changed. ;-) And there are only a few photos of sailboats in the whole book. On page 147 there is a lovely shot of a Cal 2-27. One of DM's cousins, maybe, but in general the book focuses on power boats and power boat people. What kind of a book is that? Feh!

Bob Johnston tells me: "you'll want bug screens for your companionway". I see a bug pattern here. So I asked my friend Stacey from Wisconsin. People in Wisconsin know bugs. I asked her if citronella candles work. People from Wisconsin have very nice social skills. She hedged and said, "I never had much luck with citronella." In Wisconsin-speak that means, "Hell no!" According to Stacey, Skin So Soft oil spray by Avon is what works. I was worried for a nanosecond because I haven't seen an Avon lady in Oakland in forever. But I do have a laptop and I know how to type: EBAY. And there it was! Two spray bottles. In case I meet up with a lot of those little buggers. For $8 each. So I typed in my credit card and they arrived two days later, free shipping. Thank you, EBAY.

I also have some mosquito netting, also known as "Tulle" in the fabric trade, which I bought for some long forgotten ballet tutu costume. It has silver stars embedded in it. I have yards of it, and I'll tape it to my single hatch and companionway entrance with ... what else? Duct tape. DM will feel so pretty.

Bob Johnston says he "sailed a 13' Banshee from Pittsburg Marina to Sevenmile Slough in an afternoon." What does this mean? I have no idea. It's like a foreign language. Christine and Jonathan sail Stink Eye up to Owl Harbor every summer for several months at a time. Christine is the Delta Doo Dah Doodette. What does this mean? I have no idea. But I'm going up the Delta to find out. And I'm taking my tape recorder and camera with me.

"...which I bought for some long forgotten ballet tutu costume. It has silver stars embedded in it."

You're wearing this to the cruise in/out up/down right? By the way, that's the orientation: Up the Delta, down to Redwood City.

Besides bug screens, I think I also said something about a depth sounder.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "...which I bought for some long forgotten ballet tutu costume. It has silver stars embedded in it." You're wearing this to the cruise in/out up/down right? By the way, that's the orientation: Up the Delta, down to Redwood City. Besides bug screens, I think I also said something about a depth sounder.
    It will be the tutu brigade, and I'll wear one if you will. How about that trip to BC. Anything more? We're going up there in September. Did you stay at Orcas Island or Friday Harbor? Which hotel/motel? Didja take the ferry up?

You're on. What color? I think we should coordinate.

Tutu options.

We left our rental car at the Anacortes ferry terminal and took the ferry to Friday Harbor. San Juan Island has pretty good bus service, and there's a huge increase in cost to take your car over on the ferry. In Friday Harbor we stayed at the Earthbox Inn & Spa. It's kind of motel-ish but it's close to town, while far enough away to be quiet.

A highlight was Vancouver. What a beautiful city, almost surrounded by water. I want to go back and spend more time there.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.